Monday, December 8, 2008

So much to say...

I realize that it has (again) been a very long time since I've posted anything. Actually, I guess that might not be right since I don't actually remember what the date was the last time I reported anything, but anyway, I have a lot of stuff to say and I already know that I'm not going to be able to remember everything.

I guess I'm just going to have to start events as they come because I really don't remember what came first and on what date anything occured. I've decided to post a bunch of pictures though to help you visualize just what we did this past however many days have passed.

Okay. First! The Senior's Christmas Party. We were all dressed up as elves. Enough said.

...

No not really. I'll elaborate and not leave you with such a hilarious mental picture and no story to picture it in. We were dropped off at the Senior Center in Terrace Bay at about 5 pm. We all had costumes that Simon had made for us earlier which consisted of a red or white tunic with iron on christmas themed decals. The tunic was tied with a length of green rope and the costume was topped off with a santa hat with elf ears attached. Should you like to see a picture...Here it is.
Like good little elves we took people's coats and hung them up. Then we entered the gym (the senior center is an old elementary school) which was so beautifully made up! There were about twenty different strands of warm glowing lights strung over our heads. The effect was just gorgeous. The tables looked were dressed up in white, red, gold and green and christmas trees were impressively tall. There was just this beautiful glow about the place even though everyone was sitting on plastic school chairs. It doesn't convey well in pictures, but still, I'll show you one.


We also got to eat (still in costume) among the guests so as to interact with the people more. After dinner we were all called up to the front of the gym and we preformed a rousing rendition of Happy Birthday in french and english to people in the gym with December birthdays, which included Jessy (pictured above for those who don't know him) who turned 20 the night before. I'll tell you about that day after this one.

We were then ordered by Santa and Mrs. Claus to hand out the presents the guests brought to the party. It was lots of fun being Santa's little helpers and we even got awarded for our embarrassment. Each of us got a little gift to take home! We got individual Christmas mugs with a hot chocolate packet, a cookie in a Christmas tin and an assortment of Christmas chocolates. It was so nice of them and made me smile.

The day before this was Jessy's 20'th birthday. We went to an old fashioned Christmas skating party at the Terrace Bay Rec Center. It was so much fun! Terri had discovered a box of skates in the basement before we came and we all tried them on and found the right sizes (except Jessy who has feet that are too large for his own good...joke Jessy!) and got them all sharpened up. My skates were amazing. They were old in a totally cool way. They were made of leather and looked about 30 years old (literally because they were much older than I am I think, and I'm 19). They were so old that people around me were commenting on just how old they were. And they were hockey skates. I didn't realize just how much I relied on picks until there weren't any. It was kinda scary just how off balance I felt without the picks..well, that could have been also because the skates were a bit too big and also not tiedd tight enough. I had to re-lace the skates because the old laces were rotten and short, so by the time I was finished doing that my hands were frozen and not very useful in the tyeing department. Eventually though I got comfortable with them and I was wizzing around the place. Not really though. I was slow and awkward, but better than when I first started.

On the ice there were a few christmas trees, a bench, and Santa! It was really nice skating around with all those people and some real Christmas carols on the speakers. And when Santa came out the kids were so cute and exciting. He handed out a bunch of small reineer stuffy animals and all the kids got one. Actually, the half of us who asked for one got one too. Mine is green and cute. I named mine Je-Sais and Maddy named hers Je-Ne-Sais-Pas.

I unfortunatley don't have any good pictures of the skating since I was concentrating more on not falling. On that note, one with the next event!

After skating we went to Wah's for their buffet night and ate well. Also, we invited John, our Schreiber friend that I met at the work. However, of all the people there, only Jessy and I could do any REAL celebrating. I had a rum and coke, he had a vodka and orange juice. And I also was able to have some wine at the Senior Christmas Party which was nice. Everyone was very jealous. Apparently wine is a well loved drink in our group. While eating Terri went back to the house and brought the pack of birthday hats she had bought earlier and we all out them on. Then we decided that they would look better if they were all on Jessy at one time.

We then walked back to the house (in frigid windy weather... it was not fun) and played pin the tail on the donkey. I don't think I've laughed as much playing that game as I did that night. When we spun people we didn't necessarily point them in the right direction making it that much more hilarious for everyone else.
We then played a game of keep up with a ballon in which you were not allowed to use your hands. It was much like hacky sack but much slower. That was suprisingly a lot of fun. After that we hung out on our KING SIZED MATTRESS!!!! in the living room. Yeah. You read that right. We have a random mattress in our living room loaded up with about ten extra pillows and blankets and sheets. It's so comfy.

I think that will have to be all for this post. I have some anxious people waiting to use my laptop so they can watch some movies or something.

Sara

No comments: