Tuesday, December 2, 2008

No Posts! Oh no!

I'm sorry. I truely am. It's not that I didn't have the time in the 10...no wait, it's been more hasn't it...the more than 10 days that I've been gone to write anything. I just haven't had anything to write about. Although the Quinton's seemed like a busy house...they aren't so busy when they are sick and both Tom and Sandy were sick the entire time we were with them. It was hard not being able to do anything all night long, but having Sarah there helped. And there was a TV, not that we used it much. Sarah spent most of her time on the computer, catching up with friends and family, and I spent most of my time reading. Sometimes I'd join Tom to watch some show or another but I've grown so used to not watching TV (not to mention that I don't know anything that is happening in my shows) that I've found that even when it's available, I didn't really need it. Also we had movies and cards to occupy us. I introduced Sarah to The Breakfast Club and Rocky Horror Picture. She really like The Breakfast Club. Rocky Horror? Not as much.

Speaking of movies, we are all testing ourselves using movies. We have been watching a lot of English movies with out subtitles and people have not needed a lot of translation. In fact I just finished watching Juno with Alyssanne and we only had to pause the movie two or three times to clear things up. I've been trying to test myself too. I have a movie called Bon Cop Bad Cop that I (and a lot of people) just love. They speak french and english in the movie but you can have subtitles only in english OR french, not both at the same time. There is also an option without subtitles for the bilingual viewer. Sarah and I were brave and tried that option while at the Quintons. Now I've seen this movie quite a few times so I know what is being said basically, but still, I didn't need to ask anything, and I actually was able to recognise what was being said just by listening. It makes me so excited to think just how far I've come from where I was. Just how much more I understand. I can listen to a conversation going on around me and get the general idea of what's being said, which isn't easy when the people speaking aren't slowing down for you. I can speak so much more french now and even though it is not very grammatically correct, I've got all the basic words I need in the right place. And before I didn't know anything. It's amazing what being even slightly immersed and just listening and TRYING to speak will teach you.

Today we had a bit of a short day at work. The clouds and radio station were both telling us that there was going to be a storm today and they were correct. I don't really know how much snow we got today. It was probably only 5-10 cm, but the wind blowing it around made driving a very slow and careful affair. Actually, Donna (my work boss) was saying that we may want to go home at noon or earlier if the storm kept up. As it was we left at about 2:00 or so because it was just too much of a risk to try to stick around. We also found out that they literally close the highway at 5:00 pm if it's been storming and we would have probably been stuck in Schreiber the rest of the night if they hadn't cleared up the highway. We had it all figured out though if that is what ended up happening. Everyone was supposed to meet at the library and if Terri hadn't come to pick us up 5 than we would go to the Press Box Restaurant until Terri could come to get us. If she couldn't she would call and we would get a room for the night at the motel attached to the restaurant. We are oh so prepared.

So that is my update for the day. It's been nice having a break from the Katima-house, but I think we all mostly prefer it to being away from eachother. Everyone was very happy to get back to the house and be close to eachother again.

Let the shenanigans commence once more!

Sara

1 comment:

Lia said...

We know for a fact that you have recieved a large package in the last two weeks (possibly only one week), so it has been a while, yet there was no mention of this package though it was filled with novilties and treats (by the way how do you like the books - Lia) which leads us to believe that our efforts were not appreciated. Therefore no further packages will be sent if due regard, of said package, is not forth comeing. That is ofcourse, untill the 26th.

-Kindest regardes and warmest wishes
Your Family