Sunday, November 9, 2008

First Snow, A Craft Show and The Changing of the Guard

Just a quick blog today because yesterday's was quite long and I want to go hang out. In short, this is what happened today.

1) Today was the season's first snowfall to stay on the ground. It was nice to wake up in the morning to snow even if it was a light dusting on the ground and a small little flakes in the wind. Now we just have to wait for the intense meter deep snow that falls in one night. Just by the by, I don't think we will actually get a meter of snow in one night, but it would be impressive if we did. But the serious snow and winter comes in January...so we will just get a taste of it before we have to leave and the poor group coming in from B.C. is going to get blasted. Those poor souls are going to be coming from a relatively temperate winter to KABLAMMY! Northern Ontario winter. That should be interesting!

2) There was a craft show being held in the Schreiber Rec Center Hall (the same place that held the Medieval Festival). It was really neat actually. There were a bunch of people and stalls there selling everything from soap, candels and sausage to paintings, jewellery and socks. I bought quite a bit since everything was also pretty cheap. And I got presents! Finally. I wasn't able to get something for Suneet for her birthday since there really isn't anything to buy here but now I have presents to send! Now, it is a small gift Suneet since I am a poor poor person, but it's something! And it is really neat and cool and I think you will like it. I can only hope. And if you don't pretend you do!

3) Today is the final day of Sarah and Simon's reign of terror! No I joke. I just wanted to use the words reign of terror.

Sarah and Simon were good house managers. We just had some odd meals made of whatever was left in the kitchen towards the end of the week and salty oatmeal once. Did I talk about the salty oatmeal yet? If I did...Sorry but I'm going to repeat myself. For our lone hot breakfast Simon made oatmeal. And put salt in it. A lot of salt. So much so that I couldn't cover the taste with milk and brown sugar. Now, to give him break, it did say that salt was optional, but I think he must have mis-read just how much was optional. It made me sad. I don't particularly like oatmeal, but I do like hot breakfasts that I haven't cooked. Anything to make getting out of the door faster. We also had an odd dinner tonight that was split into two by about an hour. Because the chicken wasn't defrosted all day we had to wait until 8:30 for it to be finished. To tide us over until then Simon and Sarah made us a a pasta salad. It tasted fine but it had lettuce in it. I think they took the salad bit a little to literally. But it still tasted good. So if you find that all you have in the house is salad and macaroni, don't be afraid to combine the two into one dish. It works out somehow.

But to get back on track. Maddy and I will be house managers starting tomorrow morning. We get to go shopping and buy food for 9 people, for one week with only $188. In Northern Ontario where everything is more expensive because you have to ship it so much further! Oh joy. We have a very specific and thought out shopping list, but I don't know how we are going to keep it at $188. I'll have to tell you how it goes tomorrow if I haven't imploded with frustration first.

Here endeth the news.

Sara.

1 comment:

Jessy A. B. said...

That poor Penticton group, things are not gonna be pleasant for them when they get here.