Wednesday, November 12, 2008

House Managers Attack!

Today is my third day of house management duties. On Monday night we had Sour Cream Chicken (one of Maddy's recipes) and last night we had vegetable soup with egg dumplings (not just eggs dropped into the soup like I said to you on the phone Mom and Dad. Real egg dumpling noodle things). They were delicious if a little oddly shaped...and huge.

I've never made egg dumplings (which is basically just egg noodles but rolled into a ball) so I didn't know that they expand to ginormous proportions. And even though Maddy told me to roll smaller dumplings, I didn't listen. Dinner was getting late and I needed to roll those dumplings FAST...which meant everyone ate oddly formed huge balls of dough. But they still tasted good which is really the only thing that matters. And the soup was fantastic. Jessy even finished the broth when there were no dumplings left...apparently thats huge for him.

Anyway, besides soup we had odd salad (Maddy and I decided to use sesame seed oil and balsamic vineagar...the oil just smelt so good and we couldn't resist even though we probably should have because sesame oil and balsamic just tastes odd). To make it taste a little bit less weird we grated up some cheese (which did help a little) and sprinkled it on top.

Then we made Ginger Bread cookies! It was all Maddy's idea. She thought people would forgive us for the poorly shaped dumplings and oddly dressed salad if we gave them cookies...and they did. Actually, they tasted very good and I think we may need to make them again this week. ALSO we made two different types of bread. The first was an olive oil bread which didn't look like it was rising properly and we were afraid it was going to turn out horribly. It didn't thugh. It turned out to be very delicious and soft if a little small. But we didn't know it was going to work at the time so we made another bread. Cheese bread. It smelt so good in the house last night between the cheese bread, olive oil bread, ginger bread cookies and soup. Mmmm. And so ended yesterday's house managing duties.

Today I got up early to make a hot breakfast for everyone. Pancakes I have found go over well with everyone. They were all very happy to have a hot breakfast they didn't have to cook themselves.

And something very exciting! Today, Maddy and I get to go to the highschool and see people our own age! Yay! Yesterday at the Remeberance Day ceremony all the school's go to the town center and that was our first glimpse of highschool students. Do you realize just how exciting it was to see people in our age bracket? Very. I don't know where they hide, but they don't come to the library and they don't go to the Rec Center. It's all so confusing. But today Maddy and I get to go and set up a table and ask people if they would take us home to live with them for ten days. That should be pretty cool. And hopefully people actually come up to us since we are their age and new. But we aren't allowed to 'recruit' people for next years program because the funding is under moratorium. This could be the last year of Katimavik! That is so sad. I really really hope the government gives Katimavik the funds to continue for next year. Apparently the work we do (for free) saves people 7 times as much as the government spends to feed and house us. That is a win/win situation.

Anyway, that's enough from me. I need to start getting ready to go.

Toodles,

Sara

1 comment:

Jessy A. B. said...

It is a pretty big thing for me! I don't usually like the broth.

Also, you forgot to mention the whole eyebrow plucking bit.