Friday, November 14, 2008

J'ai Tombé, Cooking for 30 and Pieday Friday!

Today was Pieday Friday! Yay! Maddy and I decided we wanted to make shepards pie one day and then decided that we should put it on a friday since pie rhymes with fri...and then decided that the perfect dessert would be pie (obviously)!

Pieday Friday was well recieved. I started baking bread at 12:30 pm and made 10 dinner rolls and a loaf. Then we started making the first pie as a tester. Blueberry. Maddy took control of the pie and it was delicious. The crust was buttery and beautiful and crisped up just right. The pie filling...was from a can, but still delicious! We also made a cherry pie which had a criss cross top. They were so pretty. And Maddy was hilarious. Apparently she doesn't particularily like pie but she liked making them so much that she wanted to make more than the two we had filling for! Then Cassie helped us to chop up potatoes while I skinned them and Maddy made the dough for the second pie. I am so happy Cassie didn't mind helping because we would have been so late with the dinner and instead we were slightly early. We ate at 6:45 or so if I remember correctly.

Anyway, we kinda just winged it with everything we were doing this week. The pies called for shortening and butter, but since we don't have any shortening we just microwaved some butter to make it soft like shortening and used that instead. That's what we have been doing all week when the bread recipe calls for lard and we haven't had any mishaps yet. For the shepard pie meat I just seasoned at will. I really had no idea what to do so I just stuck in a bunch of pepper, oregano and basil and hoped for the best. Same with the potatoes actually. We ran out of milk because everyone used it for breakfast yesterday I didn't know what to do but Maddy's family makes potatoes with sour cream so we used the extra container we had bought at the beginning of the week. We added some cream, cheese and salt as well and the potatoes were delicious! After everything was finished cooking we layered it all in casserole dishes. I got to draw lines on top of it with a fork which made it look all pretty and professional and then we stuck it into the oven. We actually made the perfect amount for four shepard pies and after dinner we still have two left over for lunches tomorrow! Yay! We finally mastered the art of making leftovers. I am so proud. And we also erased everyone's fears of our cooking abilites after yesterday's debacle. Oh I hurt just thinking about it.

For Terri (who is a vegetarian) we made a quiche! Can you believe it Mommy. Your little girl has gone and made a quiche and pie. Actually, I think technically Maddy made the quiche and pie since I was busy cooking meat and making sure potatoes didn't boil over while the quiche and pie were being made...but still! Maddy says I supervised. And it all came out perfectly. I think it was a little bit of beginners luck and hope for success on our part. Everyone was very happy and so were we and that all that matters is that everyone had a full stomach and clean plate.

Tomorrow is going to be intersting. We are having Jessy's cousin over for a 'hair workshop'. Really she is just going to come and cut and dye everyone's hair who wants to by cut and dyed and then give us a few tips and pointers. But Maddy and I will again be busy cooking more shepard pie. We are having Marathon and Manitouwadge over for the day and we were just told by Terri tonight that we are going to be cooking for everyone! Yay! I can't believe it. There is somewhere around 30 people in our three groups. I am going to be cooking for 30 people tomorrow. I am going to be wiped. But we get to delegate which means that we get to tell people to clean things for us and watch over our simmering concoctions while we do something else. Should be...interesting. I'm not quite sure yet if cooking for 30 is going to be fun, but it is going to be interesting.

NEXT SUBJECT!

Today while cleaning I fell. On the stairs. With a bucket of dirty water and a mop. Ow. I fell on the last two steps and hurt my poor bum. I can feel the bruise forming as I type. :(

And that was my day today!

Sara

1 comment:

Jessy A. B. said...

Ouch! Bad luck on the fall.