Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Terrible Rice Accident of 2008, Quilting and Waxing a Boy.

Maddy and I have been trying to be healthy. Yesterday's meal was supposed to be baked tilapia and potato wedges, however we discovered that we couldn't bake the potatoes and fish at the same time since they didn't both fit in the oven. We therefore had to resort to frying the fish, making the meal decidedly UNhealthy. Delicious, but so very bad for you, especially when you add in the ketchup and mayo we ate with it.

Today we tried again. Stir fry. Just how badly could that be screwed up? Pretty badly apparently when you don't figure in the fact that rice can be tricky...especially when you don't pay attention to it because you are being distracted by howls of pain from the living room. But I am getting ahead of myself.

Maddy and I burnt the rice. We burnt it so badly there was smoke coming out of the pot. We burnt it so badly that the rest of the unburnt rice smelt and tasted like a fire pit (an unpleasant taste I found out). We burnt the rice so badly that we recommended to people NOT to eat it and to just have a bowl of veggies instead. We hoped that by pouring soy sauce over the rice and smothering it in veggies we wouldn't be able to tell that it tasted like acid smoke...but we could. Oh it was so bad. It's so frustrating because we made a bunch of rice so there would be leftovers and everyone would be nice an full, but instead everyone just ate PB and J sandwiches. And we have made rice before, so this wasn't just a beginner screwing up. Oh it was just so bad.

Suneet just called me! Hi, Suneet! She is going to a club and needs clothes. That is the only reason she called me. I JOKE! I know you love me. <3 class="blsp-spelling-error" id="SPELLING_ERROR_5">Alyssanne went out and bought those Nair wax strips, they laid down a mattress in the living room and then started to film. Oh god, from the screaming laughs you would think that he was being tickled to death. It was so funny. He would yell and then laugh maniacally. And then I had to step in to see and I helped to teach them how to pull the strips off in the least painful way possible. Let it be known that having a mother who is an esthetician (I think I spelled that horribly wrong) has many benefits, and one of them is that you can wax boys chests and pluck boys eyebrows with some confidence. That's what I did last night. I don't know how really because I've never plucked a boy's eyebrow before. At least when I pluck a girls eyebrow I kinda know what I am doing since I do my own...but boy eyebrows are a whole other world. To get back on track though...

I waxed a boy's chest! And it was his first time (and last he says). And because we were distracted by the goings on in the living room Maddy and I let the rice burn. Sigh.

After that Simon and I went Quilting Club in Schreiber! A woman named Deb (who works in the Adult Learning Center and taught us about resumes) picked us up at 6:45 and drove us over. Simon learned how to crochet and I learned how to make a simple square with coloured corners. They look so pretty! I was able to make three in the time I was there and the ladies were very impressed with how quickly I picked it up. I may continue and do more squares. I was thinking of making on square for each of us and having everyone sign or scribble on their own square and make two pillows or a small throw or something. I don't really know right now. But they are so pretty!

Right now Alyssanne, Sarah and Rosie are in the office singing karaoke. Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys! I think I am going to sing karaoke too!

Sara

No comments: