Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Bilingual Scrabble

Playing scrabble in French and English is much easier than straight English scrabble. I ended up just throwing down letters and hoping that they made a random French word. And sometimes they did which was uber awesome and allowed me to get second place with 120 points. I was also the last to finish my letters thanks to help from Maddy in finding me a place to put my S T and G (creating sitting from a horizontal taxi and vertical tin). Then I mooched off of Alyssane's toy to make toys and I was DONE!

Now I have to tell you all how I became known as Princess Pilfer. Yesterday, we were set the task of going around to our neighbors in groups of two to ask to borrow a rake until all eight of us had one to use. Sarah and I were a duo and we scored big time. It was slow going at first (we visited two houses before someone answered at all). But at the third house we were greeted by Rena (who, coincidentally, is best friends with the owners of the house) who was very nice and generous and gave us not one but TWO rakes to use. And when she asked if she could get us anything else I asked for any old lamps she would be getting rid of or extra hangers (and as instruced by Terri, I looked as cute as possible hehe) and miracle of miracles! she gave us two handfuls of primo hangers. For this The Sarah and Sara Pilfering Pair were awarded the Tiffany Hanger Award 2008.

Today, instead of going "downtown" with the rest of the group I went with Alysanne and Terri to go home and nap and work on my resume...but instead we went to run some errands. During this time while Terri went to the Schreiber elementary school to talk to the principal Alysanne and I went to the Thrift Store across the road. When we walked in the woman there somehow knew we were Katimavikers and told us that anything for us was half off. Sa-WEET! Half price thrift store prices! So we started looking around (I saw some very nice sweaters that I will probably pick up when it gets more frigid) and waiting for Terri to finish up. When she came in we started looking for throw blankets for our new (antique and very dusty) couch and tablecloths for the table since we only have one. When we found blankets I went up to ask for prices for the blankets Louise (a very nice woman who works there) said to just take them! Princess Pilfer strikes! She let us take anything that the house needed. We ended up taking a few mugs, a plate, globe and lamp that Simon broke, but we still have the mechanism to light up the light bulb. So yay!

After that we went to the restaurant that the owners of the house own and run and talked to them for a while about the oven and lights. When we mentioned that we were searching for moose and deer meat he said, "You want moose meat? Here have these" and HANDED US A PACKAGE OF FRICKEN MOOSE SAUSAGES! Well they were pork/moose sausages because moose apparently has next to no fat in it so they mix it but still, Princess Pilfer strikes again! and we fulfilled one of the things we wanted to do while we are (well I wanted to do). Now we just need to find some deer...

Anywho, Jessy and I cooked them up for dinner in some oil and made some pasta with a wicked improved tomato/other veggie sauce. It started off with just tomatos and onions, oregano, basil , chili flakes and bay leaves, but then we were afraid we were not going to have enough sauce and so added two carrots and two celery stalks as well. It was orange tomato sauce and very tasty. Seriously tasty. Like plustresplestres tasty.

And everyone enjoyed the pasta. Not everyone was keen on the moose since it was pretty intense and gamey. Thank god for pork or else I wouldn't have been able to eat the whole sausage. But those sausages would be awesome amazing on a fresh bun with onions and dijon mustard. Mmmm, you would REALLY enjoy moose sausages Dad. Another time I think. Only thing is, you can't buy moose meat because it is illegal to sell. So we will have to try and get some for free from someone which is not a problem for Princess Pilfer! My group during the scavenger hunt found a contact named Tom who is out hunting for two weeks but home during the night so we are going to have to give him a call I think.

It's late. I need to have a shower. Tomorrow we are going to be meeting all the people at the possible work placements and so I need to be fresh and clean and put together.

Night.

Sara

2 comments:

Mrs.Levesque said...

Hi Sara, we miss U. Sounds like your having a great time. I talked to Lia and your Dad today. Your Dadoo is doing well. Sounds like everyone misses U. Josh is leaving soon. November 10th until next August. I will miss him too, but don't tell him.
Keep us posted.
Love Mrs. Levesque

Jessy A. B. said...

That pasta sauce was awesome... and not only because it was my favorite colour!