Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Library, Snow and FIRE ALARM TERRI

I worked at the library today for the very first time. It was great. I'm working with a girl named Sammy who is cool, and blonde and 23 and has this sarcastic, playful sense of humour that I love. She taught me all about the operating system for the library and we did check ins and outs for a while. She also took me on a tour of the library to show me where every section is located. She tried to print off these little sticker laabels to be put on the book spine, but it wasn't working so I didn't have any work to do all morning. I basically just got a book off the stacks (Next by Micheal Crichton! Dear lord it's cool...and I've wanted to read it for so long) and read all morning while Sammy built a website (she is a graphic designer in her other job). Then Pam the bread woman (who is a chair person for the library) brought her Italian bread book with her to the library and let me photocopy recipies! SO exciting and delicious.

After I ate lunch I helped a couple on the computer figure out their Empoyment Insurace stuff and then Donna (the head librarian) came in and we talked about after school programming and cataloging/organizing the basement.

Oh, guess what book I found and took out from the library Mom, Dad and Lia. Have you guessed yet? It's a kid's book and you love it (ESPECIALLY you mom). I'm going to write it at the bottom of this post in white to give you some time to think. Just hi-light it to make the word show up. And if you don't understand, get someone more computer savvy to help.

It snowed today. Omg, time to hyperventilate. Snow! But not too much so it's okay. There were really only flurries and the like, but still, snow!

Then we went home and at dinner at 5:30! DUDE that is an early dinner. Props to the House Managers Rosie and Alyssanne.

We had a fire drill tonight. Terri had a flashlight with a strone setting and she creeped around our rooms and the rest of the house with all the lights off and us in bed and would turn on the light randomly and yell "FIREFIREFIRE!". Then everyone had to jump out of bed (without killing eachother, which is hard when you are on a top bunk and someone is getting out of bed from underneath you) and run to the nearest exit or the fire extinguisher. Our nearest exit in the bedrooms is a fire ladder at our windows. So everyone tried piling onto Alyssanne's bed (where the ladder is located) but six girls on one bed is not all that safe...fun, but not safe. So I ended up hanging off the side, and Maddy was on the ladder and everyone was laughing and yelling. A fabulous way to end the day.

The brilliant children's book I took out of the library is The Porcupine Named Fluffy. Love it!

Got to go. I'm writing up some thank you cards for Terri to the people who helped us out around town and gave us free stuff and workshops. Love you Schreiber/Terrace Bay!

1 comment:

Jessy A. B. said...

How many times did you guys burn alive in that drill? Seven?